RAA now covers rideshare vehicles
As of July 1, 2016, ridesharing services became legal in South Australia. As a result, RAA is now insuring Rideshare vehicles, for both part-time and full-time drivers*.
To make sure you’re covered for Ridesharing, when completing your quote, make sure you:
1. Select “Other” for vehicle use and;
2. Select either “Rideshare Full Time” or “Rideshare Part Time” from the drop-down.
See the images at the bottom of this page for reference.
A full-time rideshare driver is considered someone who drives more than 37.5 hours a week as a rideshare vehicle and it is the only source of income.
A part-time rideshare driver is considered as driving less than 37.5 hours per week and/or done in conjunction with other paid work.
If you are already insured with RAA and you would like to become a rideshare driver, please call 8202 4567 to update your policy details.
Please note, rideshare is for privately owned vehicles only and does not include taxis.
*Cover is subject to normal underwriting & acceptance criteria
How do I become a ridesharing driver?
All drivers for Ridesharing services must be accredited under the Passenger Transport Act 1994, and will be required:
- To complete and submit (with payment) a Driver Accreditation application to the Department of Transport and Infrastructure, download form here
- Provide 100 points of identification;
- To have a current full Australian driver’s licence and not subject to any conditions, such as provisional, probationary or suspended;
- To have a working with children clearance and national criminal history check through the government screening unit of Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (fees do apply for this) more info
- To have a medical and eyesight certificate from your regular treating doctor.
The vehicle you use for Ridesharing services must also meet a number of conditions set by the State Government:
- Vehicle cannot be more than eight years old;
- All vehicles must be inspected by an approved inspection station;
- RAA and Rightway Automotive are approved to inspect vehicles from July 1, 2016;
- Inspections will need to be carried out every six months;
- All vehicles must be clearly identifiable as a ridesharing vehicle.
What is it used for? Select "other"
Select Full Time or Part Time from the drop-down