Street Smart High
Street Smart High 2017 - bookings open!
Street Smart High is an annual road safety education event hosted by RAA in conjunction with Event Partner the Motor Accident Commission. Street Smart High aims to reduce the state's shocking youth road toll. Road crashes are one of the leading causes of death for young people under the age of 25, and Street Smart High aims to demonstrate the devastating reality of road trauma to South Australian high school students.
Street Smart High provides an opportunity for students, soon-to-be learner, learner, and novice drivers to learn about driving risks and avoid situations that place themselves and others in danger.
At Street Smart High students will:
- witness a simulated crash scene, including pre and post-crash outcomes
- hear from young people whose lives have been affected by road trauma
- interact with leading community, state government and industry organisations who provide programs that aim to keep young people safe.
Street Smart High is open to students from years 10 through 12 across South Australia, and attendance is free.
Street Smart High 2017 will be held on Wednesday 5 April and Thursday 6 April at the Adelaide Entertainment Centre.
If you have any queries about Street Smart High or would like to book your school in, please contact David Fairlie, Manager School Education, via email@example.com or 8202 8214.
- On the way back to school, the bus driver dared to look at his mobile phone whilst stopped at a traffic light – the girls were quick to tell him that wasn’t on! – Annette Lamont, Kildare College
- The discussions by students in the following days, and even weeks, after the event has shown how thought provoking it has been – Miescha Hawkins, Mary MacKillop College
- It makes students think twice about safety whilst driving a car – Alna Briel, Portside Christian College
- The students were able to identify with the speakers and it was relevant to them – Liz Tidemann, Christian Brothers College
- We could never organise something of this magnitude and impact for our students – Cathy Miegel, Lameroo Regional Community
- It gave the students a reality check - Josie Piantadosi, Seaton High School
Note: Street Smart and bstreetsmart are road safety programs based on a concept originally created by Westmead Hospital.
Motoring & Road Safety