• Why do I need travel insurance?

    Travel insurance gives you protection when unforeseen events occur while travelling and you incur unexpected expenses. It will cover you for things like theft, accidents, or medical problems, and is just as important as your passport. To find out more about the benefits of travel insurance, visit the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website www.smartraveller.gov.au

  • Who is the insurer for RAA’s travel insurance?

    RAA Travel insurance is issued by Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd (Tokio Marine & Nichido) ABN 80 000 438 291, AFSL 246548. Its managing agent, Tokio Marine Management (Australasia) Pty. Ltd. ABN 69 004 488 455 (TMMA) is authorised to act on behalf of Tokio Marine & Nichido to issue its policies and handle and settle claims in relation to those policies, subject to the terms of the authority. RAA is an authorised representative of TMMA.
    As well as Travel Insurance, Tokio Marine & Nichido also work with the general insurance market through insurance brokers and provide insurance for commercial and corporate businesses in Australia. Tokio Marine & Nichido was founded in 1879 in Japan, operates in multiple countries and employees thousands of people worldwide.

  • I’ve purchased a travel insurance policy, but I made a mistake on something. How can I update it?

    Get in touch as soon as possible on 8202 4346 and we can help sort it out for you. 

  • Can I change my mind and cancel the policy?

    You have 21 days from the date of issue of the policy (shown on your Certificate of Insurance) to make sure the policy is right for you. As long as you haven’t started your trip and don’t want to claim against your policy, you can cancel. Just call or email travel@raa.com.au and we’ll sort it out for you.

  • Can I extend my policy?

    In some circumstances, you can. 

    You can extend your policy free of charge if the delay is due to a reason that you could claim under your policy, subject to our approval. This is for both our Single Trip and Multi-Trip policies.

    For other reasons you can apply to extend your International Single-Trip Policy by phoning us on 8202 4346 or send an email to travel@raa.com.au at least 5 days before your original policy was due to end. Extension of cover needs our written approval and you will need to pay any applicable extra premium. If we agree to extend cover we will issue a new Certificate of Insurance. The period of insurance on your new Certificate of Insurance cannot be longer than a combined maximum period of 12 months.

  • Are my children covered under my policy?

    Yes! Your children and grand-children are covered, provided they’re travelling with you, they’re not over the age of 25 and they’re not working full time. They’ll need to be listed on your Certificate of Insurance and there’s no additional cost as long as they don’t need a medical assessment for a pre-existing medical condition. They’re also covered under the Ski and Winter Sports option. If you haven’t listed them, contact us before you leave.

  • What policy benefits and limits apply to my children or grandchildren?

    Children or grandchildren travelling with you under 25 and don’t work full time get all the same benefits as you would on your policy. There are some sections of the policy where limits are combined, whereas others have a per person benefit. Be sure to refer to your Product Disclosure Statement for full details. 

  • Do I need to list every country I’m travelling to when buying my policy?

    Yes, you should list all countries to confirm cover is available in those destinations. For countries listed as ‘Do Not Travel’ by the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, cover is not provided, so be sure to check www.smartraveller.gov.au

  • Which policy do I get if I’m going on a crusie?

    If your cruise is only in Australian waters – or just calling into Australian ports – you’ll still need to get a policy that covers medical expenses while onboard the ship, as those services generally aren’t covered by Medicare. In this instance, just select ‘Australian Cruise’ as your destination (not Domestic), and you’ll be covered for medical and evacuation cover while at sea, but not if you go into a medical cover while in Australia. 

    For international cruising, select the countries you’ll be visiting as normal, and click ‘Yes’ when asked ‘Going on a cruise?’.

  • Is there a maximum trip duration for an Annual Multi-trip policy?

    You can select the maximum trip length from three options – 30, 45 or 60 days. When purchasing, you need to select the number of days that will cover any trip you might take in the 12-month period you’re covered for. The days allowed may be increased to a longer duration during the policy period, at an additional cost.

  • How many trips can I take on an Annual Multi-trip policy?

    As many as you want! You’ll just need to make sure you don’t exceed the maximum trip length you’ve selected to ensure each entire trip is covered.

  • Does my Annual Multi-trip cover me while travelling in Australia?

    Yes, as long as you’re over 250km from home.

  • Do the limits on my Annual Multi-trip policy apply per person or per policy?

    Your benefits are per adult, so the limits will be reinstated after each trip.

  • Can people with a joint Annual Mulit-trip policy travel alone and still be covered?

    Yes, as long as they’re adults. Dependent children or grandchildren listed on the policy need to travel with an insured adult for the whole trip. 

  • What is a medical assessment?

    This is an online set of questions that you’ll need to complete if you’ve listed a pre-existing medical condition that’s no covered under the policy. You can do this as part of the quote and we’ll let you know if you’re covered and the cost.

  • What’s defined as a medical condition?

    In our Product Disclosure Statement, a “medical condition” is defined as:

    a. any physical condition, illness or disease, or complication, for which treatment, medication, surgery or advice (including investigation) has been received or  prescribed by a medical practitioner, dental or health professional in the 24 months prior to your purchase of this policy; and/or

    b. any chronic or ongoing (whether chronic or otherwise) medical or dental condition, illness or disease medically documented prior to your purchase of this policy; and/or

    c. any new physical defect, condition, illness, mental illness, disease or assessment that becomes reasonably known to you after your purchase of this policy and prior to your trip departure – as shown as the period of insurance on your Certificate of Insurance; and/or

    d. any change to a current physical defect, condition, illness, mental illness, disease or assessment that becomes reasonably known to you after your purchase of this policy and prior to your trip departure – as shown as the period of insurance on your Certificate of Insurance; and/or

    e. any condition medically documented that involves/involved your heart, brain, circulatory system/blood vessels, lungs or respiratory system, plus any type of cancer or mental illness, reasonably known to you, for which treatment, medication, surgery or advice has ever been received or prescribed by a medical practitioner or health professional prior to your purchase of this policy and prior to your trip departure – as shown as the period of insurance on your Certificate of Insurance.

    This definition applies to you, your travelling Companion, a relative or any other person. If you are unsure whether you have a Medical Condition, give us a call.

  • Am I covered if I’m pregnant?

    Our policies provide limited cover for pregnancy. The following restrictions apply for any person where a claim may arise in any way and is related to pregnancy regardless of whether it has been assessed or not:

    Cover is only provided for unexpected complications before the 26th week or childbirth before the 26th week, which was accelerated by accidental injury. 

    We cover single, non-complicated pregnancies automatically. For all other pregnancies, a medical assessment must be completed. As with all travel insurance, it’s important that expectant mothers consider if they should travel; seek their doctor’s advice; and, ensure they have the right level of cover for their needs.

  • Are any medical conditions automatically covered?

    The following list of conditions are automatically covered with no additional premium, provided they aren’t associated with any conditions you listed as part of the medical screening process and you haven’t been hospitalised (for day surgery or to emergency) for the condition in the past 24 months.

    1. Acne
    2. Allergies limited to Rhinitis, Chronic Sinusitis, Eczema, Food Intolerance, Hay Fever
    3. Bell’s Palsy
    4. Benign Positional Vertigo
    5. Bunions
    6. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
    7. Cataracts
    8. Coeliac Disease
    9. Congenital Blindness
    10. Congenital Deafness
    11. Dry Eye Syndrome
    12. Glaucoma
    13. Gout
    14. Graves’ Disease
    15. Incontinence
    16. Insulin Resistance
    17. Macular Degeneration
    18. Meniere’s Disease
    19. Migraine
    20. Plantar Fasciitis
    21. Raynaud’s Disease
    22. Solar Keratosis
    23. Trigger Finger

    Please also read the ‘General Exclusions’ that apply to all sections of your policy in the Product Disclosure Statement. 
  • Who do I contact if I get sick or injured while travelling overseas?

    If it’s an emergency, get it touch with our Emergency Assistance team for help by calling +61 2 8055 1698 (reverse charges from the overseas operator).
    It’s also a good idea to register your details with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade on their website: http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/

    If you’re hospitalised, you – or a member of your travelling party – must get in touch with us as soon as possible. If you don’t, we may not pay for expenses, evacuation or airfares that haven’t been approved by us.

    In the event that you’re not hospitalised, but the total cost of treatment will exceed $2,000, you need to contact us as soon as possible. Again, we might not pay for any expenses that haven’t been approved. 

    For any medical costs under $2,000, you need to keep all your medical reports and receipts. These will be used to support your claim when it’s lodged. 

    Our policies only cover medical expenses while you’re overseas. Our Domestic policies don’t include medical cover, as we’re prevented from paying costs that would be covered by Medicare or private health insurers. This also extends to any gap payments.

Travel Insurance enquiry


Enter your 8-digit member number

Get in touch. We're here to help.

  • Call us

    Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
    Saturday, 9am to 4pm
  • Find a Shop

    Drop in and chat face-to-face