Getting a safe start
RAA believes road safety is an important skill that should be learnt from an early age.
To help, we’ve partnered with the Government of South Australia and the Lifetime Support Authority to offer free road-safety lessons in primary schools across South Australia. Since the program launched in 2014, we’ve visited more than 700 schools.
What happens in a Street Smart Primary lesson?
An RAA-trained teacher will visit your school to help deliver an interactive, age-appropriate presentation with a focus on pedestrian, passenger and wheeled safety.
The FREE program provides:
- a trained and qualified teacher who’ll work collaboratively with the classroom teacher to deliver a 45-minute road-safety lesson;
- an in-class program;
- a choice of four age-appropriate lessons or a lesson tailored to suit your students and school;
- advice to schools on delivering appropriate follow-up programs; and,
- information for parents and caregivers so they can continue teaching road-safety at home.
How do I book a lesson for my school?
- Each school can arrange 1 visit per calendar year. For larger schools, a subsequent visit can be arranged.
- During each visit our Street Smart teacher will deliver up to 5 lessons during one school day, to a maximum of 30 students in each class.
Does the classroom teacher or the school need to prepare anything?
The classroom teacher doesn’t need to prepare a thing – our Street Smart teacher will bring all the resources needed.
Once you’ve made a booking, a Street Smart teacher will arrange a 30-minute visit to confirm all of the details for the day.
Download a teacher information pack (PDF, 196 KB).
Find out more in samotor, the RAA magazine
Lessons learnt at Street Smart Primary
samotor drops in on a Street Smart Primary session to find out what it's all about.
Heartbreak and hope at Street Smart High
Powerful crash stories and family testimonies heard at the annual road safety event.
RAA hits the streets in the south east
RAA’s Community Education Team visited Bordertown, Mt Gambier and Millicent, providing Years Ahead road safety presentations to older members of the community.
We're here to help
Call usMonday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Enquire onlineSend us a message and we'll contact you
Find a shopDrop in and chat face-to-face